Saturday, October 24, 2009

To the bag boy at Smiths...

Okay, so this is in response to the assignment Shayne gave us.

I went to the store today and decided that for the assignment I should buy someone a gallon of milk. I was going to try to do is strategically too so that I could get it to someone who looked like they really needed it. I planned my timing in line for check-out and it was perfect. A poor older gentleman got in line behind me clutching foodstamps and a gallon of milk. I got to the front of the line and the checker started checking my items. I leaned over to the bag boy and told him that the gallon of milk I bought was for the man behind me and that when I walked out he needed to give it to him and tell him it was from me. He signaled to me that he understood. He winked even. It was great! I felt awesome. Here I was helping someone out with something they really needed. I pay for my groceries and head out to my car. I get in my car and start driving off just in time to see the man who was in line behind me come out... not with the gallon that I bought for him. The bag boy blew it. I don't know how, but he did. I mean, he winked at me signaling he knew the plan! I hope someone got that gallon of milk. If not, at least Smiths can resell it so I got to help them.

Sorry I didn't get to do the cool thing, Shayne. Maybe next time.

1 comment:

  1. maybe the guy refused to take it? Maybe it was in his back pocket ;). I went to a class yesterday from Larry Gelwix...the coach from "Forever Strong". He gives his "boys" a 7-day challenge. Do these two things for 7 days: 1. consciously and cognitively identify someone you don't need and treat them with respect and dignity.
    2. seek out at least one "it's not my job" thing to do.

    Sounds like you were trying...I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete