Saturday, September 12, 2009

To the Mariners

I know this is too early for an end of season thank you letter, Seattle Mariners, but thank you.

First off, thank you for playing good baseball and really showing the world that yes, Seattle can still compete in sports. We don't just roll over and die in everything these days. Thanks for giving us a good effort and putting up a (soon to be hopefully) winning season.

Mostly I just want to say thank you to you, Mariners, for resurrecting my hero, Ken Griffey Junior. He is the best player I have ever seen play the game. I grew up watching him. I sometimes even think of him as my second father. He was the heart and soul of the Mariners my entire childhood, and watching him go all those years ago was one of the saddest days of my life. He leaves Seattle, and his career is plagued by injury. It is sad. He probably would have been the best player of this generation and one of maybe 5 pure sluggers in the game. Thanks for bringing Ken back to the house that Junior built. I love watching him. Tears well up in my eyes every time I hear that announcer say "Now batting, Keeeennn Griffeeeeeeeyyyy JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNIIOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!" Some say he didn't do much for the team this year because of his batting average. I say he saved the team completely this year. Not just the team, but the city. He brought us back to Safeco. He reminded us (and probably the team too) of what baseball is all about. That big smile put smiles on millions.

Thanks, Mariners, for a great season. I know your playoff hopes are shot this year. Best of luck next year. Sodo Mojo. My Oh My. Refuse to lose.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of this post... but your "second father"? Really? I would say thats a big of an exaggeration, don't ya think??:-D Love you. ` Jannette

    ReplyDelete