Saturday, September 19, 2009

To the MTC

Hey MTC. First off I wanna say thanks for being there. Thanks for being there to employ me as one of your teachers, but mostly thanks for being there for missionaries to learn and grow and stuff before they go serve the Lord.

I'm having trouble working through a mental debate I'm having with myself, so I figured I'd turn to you for your advice and help.

Being a student at BYU is fun and tough, especially in the business program. My classes this semester have me working hard, but also have me thinking about whether or not I should really be working there with you. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do. I love being a part of the missionaries' lives and helping them prepare to invite people to come unto Christ. I love being able to teach Tagalog to people. It definitely helps to keep me sharp on my language skills. Only thing is, I've been thinking lately that as much as I love working with the missionaries, I really don't know how much my job is helping me with my career in business.

I need the job to help me to pay for school and what not. I especially want to try to avoid any student loans if possible. Yet, at the same time I think that perhaps by quitting my job I can focus on things that will help me advance my career opportunities. All this meaning that even if I do take on debt, a better career offered by better focus on that now provides a higher opportunity cost.

I just don't know what to do. What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. That's a really tough one. My husband worked at the MTC teaching Spanish when I met him. After awhile, though, he got a job at the Daily Universe, which was in his Major. Whatever you decide, make sure you love it! Also, make sure you can get a job before you quit the old one -- times are tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you got a job at the MTC...there are lots of people that apply!

    ReplyDelete