Thursday, December 24, 2009

To Christmas Eve


Through the years, Christmas Eve, you have brought me a lot of fun times. I remember being young and trying and trying to sleep but I never really could. I remember finally, somewhere in the night, drifting off to sleep, but waking up after what seemed only 15 minutes to see if it was morning yet. Finally, once it was about 5:30 am I couldn't take it anymore, at I just sat up and watched the clock until 7:00 (pronounced "seven-oh-oh" in your best little-boy voice) to wake up the rest of the siblings and go bounding into mom and dad's room. There we would wait and wait while they agonized us by saying they didn't want to go out yet or that they had to go to the bathroom or go make sure Santa still wasn't in the living room. I remember my dad going out to get the camera and having us take baby steps down the hall, all the while snapping picture after picture. Great times. My parents did an awesome job of building the hype.

I remember Christmas in the mission. I never wanted to eat spaghetti or buko salad again... Man you fed me a lot on those nights, Christmas Eve.

I remember lots of Christmas Eve's spent watching Christmas movies and going over to our friends, who are now also our family, to read and act out the Luke 2 story and share talents.

Tonight I was a Shepherd.

Christmas eve is full of beautiful sights and sounds, and of course delicious tastes (I've gained 3 pounds since being home, to give you an idea of just how delicious). Tomorrow everyone will wake up and open presents. Tomorrow our thoughts will be on family and Christ as we participate in our traditions. I love it.

I always love Christmas time, but I think I realized this year what it is exactly that makes the Christmas season just so special. It has to be the feast the senses get from the whole season. The cold is refreshing, the smell if just fresh, the tastes are rich, the sights are beautiful, and the smells are full of memory of Christmas past.

Thanks, Christmas. You rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment